Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

Today really makes you think of all the good things going on in your life no matter what bad things are going on. I love my family. No we are not perfect, we don't get along all of the time, but I never doubt the fact that we will always be there for each other. This year has had many ups and downs. One grandmother being diagnosed with breast cancer, having a masectomy, then starting chemo. Loosing her hair, being depressed because you are confined to your house, getting shots or bloodwork everyday. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun does it. My other grandmother being 89 and having another stroke that has taken part of her memory, being depressed because she is now dependent on someone to take care of her. Telling my parents to take her to the nursing home because she doesn't want to be a burden on anyone. My father-in-law having a severe stroke in April that left him paralyzed on the left side, living in a nursing home with his memory faded and no will to try to become better. Being hospitalized last week for pneumonia and knowing that this may become a vicious cycle.
I know it sounds as though I am a little "Debbie Downer," but throughout all of these situations, they have all brought our families closer. And for that I am thankful! Seeing how many people visit, send cards, phone calls, food, etc. There are many things in these circumstances that we all should take the time to Thank God for! Mamaw Faye's tests came back negative for any spreading of the cancer. Her genetic testing was negative. She only has to take 4 rounds of chemo and will be done before Christmas. Praise God! Mamaw Ezma is remembering more and more every day. She is getting around the house with her walker without any problem. Praise God! My father in law was not really a part of our lives prior to the stroke and now we see him more and even though the relationship is still somewhat strained, it is building. Praise God!
Tonight we went to Cullman for my family Thanksgiving get together. What a wonderful time! Delicious food, great company, great conversations! Aubrey-my niece-is adorable. She is definitely dramatic! It's hilarious to see her face light up when Little Einsteins comes on and she acts out some of the songs. What a wonderful time of year!
What a crazy world that we live in these days. Amongst everything going on around us, we just need to stop, take in some deep breaths and be thankful that we are here. We are able to have an outlet, and we are able to meet other people who inspire us to become better. Even though we may go through hard times that make us ask God, "Why me? I don't think that I can handle any more." It's always easier said that done, but we must remember that He never leaves our side! He is always there and in every situation that we don't understand there is always a deeper meaning and lessen that we can learn.

No comments: